Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Thanks!

During October's exercise in horror, it came to my attention that Last Before Infinity has been in existence for over a year. This came as a shock to me--not because it's so hard to believe that over 365 days have elapsed since I created this blog. But during my brief period of introspective reflection, it dawned on me just how little my life has changed in the past year.

Man, I'm lame.

Anyway, in light of this mild epiphany, it may seem appropriate to stress some existential cliche about time's propensity for sneaking away or our respective struggles on a road towards emotional maturity and personal fulfillment. But let's face it; you've heard all that crap before and my perspective probably won't be any different than those you've come to know, trust and revere. Instead, I'm just going to say thanks.

There are a few people who have read every word of every post on this hit-and-miss literary experiment I call Last Before Infinity. And not every post has been gold. Not by a long shot. Nevertheless, a handful of supportive friends have managed to peruse every story, review, rant, complaint, recommendation and meandering free-write that I've puked up onto this blog. Some may call this unmitigated masochism (myself included), but these sickos keep coming back for more!

And I do appreciate when said individuals are vocal about their opinions, whether they really enjoy what I've done or absolutely loathe it. I like feedback, even if it's someone telling me I suck. Well... that's a half-truth. I don't really like when people tell me I suck. But I do love attention! So when someone acknowledges my writing exists (even if it's to tell me I'm a sloppy, no-talent hack), it makes me happy(ish). Hey... if you're creating something you're exposing yourself to subjectivity, which means there's always going to be someone that hates what you do. At least that's what I tell myself when I'm crying and carving "be a better writer" into my forearm at night.

So I'm saying 'cheers' to all those guys and girls that keep me motivated. If this blog has done nothing else, it's acted as a medium for encouragement. Just knowing there are a few people that will read and digest everything I post has made me a more productive writer this past year. And I'm really grateful. Some of my more recent life-affirming decisions probably would not have come without support from the aforementioned individuals. So there you have it.

Thanks everybody!

Much Love,
J.

P.S. If you really want an exclusive shout-out or to see your name mentioned on some explicit list, get over yourself! I'll buy you a drink or something.

No comments: